Treatment for TMJ
The treatment that is appropriate for a patient with a TMJ disorder varies case by case. This is because TMJ is actually a range of associated symptoms and underlying causes rather than one simple problem. Not all of them are alike.
As such, there are many treatments that could potentially treat any individual case of TMJ, but not all. Possible treatments can be as simple as applying an ice pack to the jaw, avoiding crunchy or chewy foods like chips and gum, or taking mild over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin, Advil, or Tylenol. There are also more permanent treatments, like replacing missing teeth with dental implants that interface with the jawbone to replace the missing root.
Our main dentist is an expert in neuromuscular dentistry (aka temporomandibular joint dysfunction therapy/TMJ therapy). He studied the subject extensively at the top-ranked Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies.
With his education, experience, and access to the latest, most state-of-the-art technology, our dentist offers the best TMJ therapy. His treatments are reversible and non-surgical, as well as proven to ease the pain of those suffering from a TMJ disorder.
Patients in San Diego Area See Quick Improvement With Alternative TMJ Therapy
Have you ever had a sore jaw that turned into a headache? Perhaps you hear a ringing in your ears, experience dizziness or have a tingling sensation in your fingers. These seemingly unrelated symptoms may all be related to a condition known as Temporomandibular Disorder or TMD. (The term “TMJ” is often used to refer to the ailment, but it actually refers to the temporomandibular joint – the joint where the problem is located.)
TMD is a widely misunderstood ailment that is known to affect millions of Americans each year, with a higher incidence among women than men. It has only been recognized as a unique medical condition for several decades. Historically, dental treatments for TMD have focused on the mechanics of how the upper and lower teeth work together with the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). When you bite or chew, this joint sustains tremendous pressure and problems may develop over time, due to misalignment, teeth clenching or other conditions.
New and advanced methods in Neuromuscular Dentistry focus on the musculature of the jaw and ways to keep the jaw muscles relaxed so that they work in harmony with the upper and lower teeth. “We use computer-generated electromyography, or EMG, to assess how the muscles in your head and neck are working together,” explains the owner of Irresistible Smiles in San Diego. EMG analysis measures the electrical activity in the muscles as they contract and relax. “Using our state-of-the-art system, we identify the exact position of these muscles when they are at their most relaxed state, and then work to re-train the jaw so that it maintains this alignment naturally. This doesn’t involve any dentistry by its traditional definition, as there is no surgery or anesthetic.”
We can report that up to 90 percent of his patients are able to see improvements within the first month of treatment. “The other 10 percent of patients may have other physical or emotional health factors that contribute to their disorder,” he says, “so sometimes we will work with a chiropractor, acupuncturist or physical therapist to effect a total treatment. Many TMD patients are experiencing some type of breathing problem that can be associated with sleep apnea. These problems could be related to their tonsils, adenoids or even allergies. Early attention can greatly reduce these breathing problems as we age.”
As one who has actually experienced TMD himself, our main dentist is in a unique position to understand the condition from both the doctor’s and the patient’s perspective. “I have benefited from TMD treatment with Neuromuscular Dentistry myself and I am a strong believer in this therapy. I have had full-mouth rehabilitation done and I know it is effective.”
The good news is, you don’t have to suffer with your TMD symptoms and discomfort. Effective treatment is available from a skilled dental professional who is trained in neuromuscular therapies.
About Our Main Dentist
Our main dentist has been practicing dentistry for over 12 years and has operated Irresistible Smiles Dentistry in San Diego since 2005. A graduate of Tufts School of Dental Medicine, he devotes an average of 150 hours annually to his growing expertise in cosmetic, restorative and therapeutic dentistry.
Get Your Free Consultation
You are invited to schedule a free personal consultation with our team to learn more about the most appropriate treatment for your TMD symptoms. To learn more about Irresistible Smiles, visit www.SafarianDMD.com or call either convenient office location in Chula Vista (858) 255-9689.