A lot of people can have an extreme fear of visiting a dentist.
Besides the jarring, whizzing sounds of machines that send chills down your spine, there are also a million questions that come rushing to your mind when you undergo a procedure, especially if it is a procedure that is going to have visible effects on your teeth and smile.
Getting dental implants is one of these procedures, and it is absolutely important for you to consult your dentist and clarify any sort of doubts you may have so that you can get the best results.
Asking your dentists a few important questions is a must, however, you need to determine what those questions are.
1) First and most importantly, you need to ask them about the type of implants being placed, the material the implants are made of, and whether or not the implants come with some sort of guarantee.
A lot of the time, implants are made of titanium. It is a metal that does not rust and undergoes the process of osseointegration (bone-integration) so that over time it becomes one with the bone in your teeth.
2) The next essential question you need to ask them is the general healing time of such a treatment.
You need to know until when you are potentially going to have to stay on liquid or semi-solid food and when the treated tooth, or teeth, shall attain full recovery.
In most cases, the healing time is between 10-14 days, 14 being the upper limit. During this period, you will have rely on liquids for nutrition, but after that, you will be able to eat soft foods.
3) You must also inquire who is going to place the implant for you: the general dentist, oral surgeon or a periodontist.
It is essential to inquire about the expertise and experience of the person responsible for your procedure.
4) Are there any risks involved with the surgery?
This is important to ask because even though you are in the hands of experts, there are chances that something may go wrong in the surgery, and you need to be aware and prepared for that possibility.
Dental implants are generally considered a safe procedure. The success rate is high, hovering around 90 percent according to some estimates. So, you have little to worry about!
5) You may also ask the dentist to show you “before and after” pictures for the dental implant procedures they have done before.
This would help you get a better idea of the work this particular dentist and the team have done before and you can decide whether you want to go ahead with the procedure.
There is no doubt of the fact that dental implants have made way for an entirely new chapter in the field of cosmetic dentistry. However, it is essential that you closely check all aspects of the procedure you are going to receive so that you can have the best results.