Get a free consultation

How Can We Help?

captcha

Contact Us

captcha

Advanced Neuromuscular Dentistry

Advanced Neuromuscular Dentistry Can Help Treat Your Sore Jaw, Headaches, and More

Have you ever had a sore jaw that turned into a headache? Perhaps you hear a ringing in your ears, experience dizziness or have a tingling sensation in your fingers. These seemingly unrelated symptoms may all be related to a condition known as Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD. (The term “TMJ” is often used to refer to the ailment, but it actually refers to the temporomandibular joint – the joint where the problem is located.)

Patients in San Diego Area See Quick Improvement With Alternative TMJ Therapy

Have you ever had a sore jaw that turned into a headache? Perhaps you hear a ringing in your ears, experience dizziness or have a tingling sensation in your fingers. These seemingly unrelated symptoms may all be related to a condition known as Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD. (The term “TMJ” is often used to refer to the ailment, but it actually refers to the temporomandibular joint – the joint where the problem is located.)

TMD is a widely misunderstood ailment that is known to affect millions of Americans each year, with a higher incidence among women than men. It has only been recognized as a unique medical condition for several decades. Historically, dental treatments for TMD have focused on the mechanics of how the upper and lower teeth work together with the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). When you bite or chew, this joint sustains tremendous pressure and problems may develop over time, due to misalignment, teeth clenching or other conditions.

New and advanced methods in Neuromuscular Dentistry focus on the musculature of the jaw and ways to keep the jaw muscles relaxed so that they work in harmony with the upper and lower teeth. “We use computer-generated electromyography, or EMG, to assess how the muscles in your head and neck are working together,” explains Shahin Safarian, DMD, owner of Irresistible Smiles in San Diego. EMG analysis measures the electrical activity in the muscles as they contract and relax. “Using our state-of-the-art system, we identify the exact position of these muscles when they are at their most relaxed state, and then work to re-train the jaw so that it maintains this alignment naturally. This doesn’t involve any dentistry by its traditional definition, as there is no surgery or anesthetic.”

Dr. Safarian reports that up to 90 percent of his patients are able to see improvements within the first month of treatment. “The other 10 percent of patients may have other physical or emotional health factors that contribute to their disorder,” he says, “so sometimes we will work with a chiropractor, acupuncturist or physical therapist to effect a total treatment. Many TMD patients are experiencing some type of breathing problem that can be associated with sleep apnea. These problems could be related to their tonsils, adenoids or even allergies. Early attention can greatly reduce these breathing problems as we age.”

As one who has actually experienced TMD himself, Dr. Safarian is in a unique position to understand the condition from both the doctor’s and the patient’s perspective. “I have benefited from TMD treatment with Neuromuscular Dentistry myself and I am a strong believer in this therapy. I have had full-mouth rehabilitation done and I know it is effective.”

The good news is, you don’t have to suffer with your TMD symptoms and discomfort. Effective treatment is available from a skilled dental professional who is trained in neuromuscular therapies.

About Dr. Safarian

Dr. Safarian has been practicing dentistry for over 12 years and has operated Irresistible Smiles Dentistry in San Diego since 2005. A graduate of Boston’s prestigious Tufts School of Dental Medicine, Dr. Safarian devotes an average of 150 hours annually to his growing expertise in cosmetic, restorative and therapeutic dentistry. The son of a surgeon, Dr. Safarian cites his father as the inspiration for a career helping others to enjoy healthier, happier lives.

Get Your Free Consultation

You are invited to schedule a free personal consultation with Dr. Safarian to learn more about the most appropriate treatment for your TMD symptoms. To learn more about Irresistible Smiles, visit www.SafarianDMD.com or call either convenient office location in San Diego (858.755.8993) or Chula Vista (619.656.6785).